I realize that my small corner of the automotive internet
has many forays that delve here and there into topics which as a whole seem to
lack cohesion. I realize that this is more evident after a small sampling of
posts which may seem like the ramblings of a mad man or the brain storm of
someone who is in desperate need of Adderall. But I promise in time, these
ramblings will pull together. I have many an idea for new body styling ideas,
many an homage to pay to the parts and people that have come before me. So in
keeping to the spirit of non-exclusivity I find myself today with the desire to
share random tips and tricks I’ve picked up through the years working on cars
or watching professionals work on cars.
Installation of a wing/spoiler…
It’s come to my attention that installing a wing or spoiler
has become somewhat of a lost art. Manufacturers no longer provide installation
instructions that are more diligent than “Drill a hole, bolt it in, good to
go.” And rightfully so, given the understanding that said spoiler should be
professionally installed anyway. However, imagine my reaction when I started
receiving calls from body shops whom require installation instructions, FOR A
WING. It’s difficult that these men and women are trusted to straighten frames
and replace doors but can’t figure out how to drill 4 holes for a wing. I
digress, the following is one of I’m sure many ways to properly or acceptably
install a wing.
Providing this is not an OEM wing to replace another OEM
wing, God help you if you can’t figure
that one out.
First, use straws bent to resemble a “T ”shape. Proceed to
insert one end of the straw into the bolt holes located on the bottom of the
wing, and then tape them into place.
Next, measure your trunk for symmetry while properly marking
the locations for where the wing should rest. I’d use masking or painters tape
to do this.
Now, place the wing on your trunk in its desired location.
Undo the tape that was holding the straw to the wing, and tape the straw to the
trunk instead. Once you remove the wing, the straws should be attached to the
car, with a tip of a straw protruding upwards as a marker for EXACTLY where to
drill.
Cover the surrounding area with more tape, to protect it
from scratching should the drill slip while making the installation holes.
Once the holes are drilled and all the tape and straws have
been removed, use double sided tape on the underside of the wing that is to
make contact with the trunk, this will allow for cushion should the wing
vibrate under higher driving speeds.
Finally, bolt the wing to the car. I always recommend using
washers since this could help prevent water from leaking into your trunk.
You’re done, put away your tools and go for a drive.



No comments:
Post a Comment